Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Yogi Learns to Fly: (Trapeze Lesson with "i Fly")


Yogis love to branch out and try other forms of movement...hooping, acrobatic yoga...and the Trapeze!

 When I saw that there was a company giving trapeze lesson in Atlantic City I knew I had to try it!  I wasn’t really nervous until I watched a video this morning and saw what I was actually going to DO.  I had my doubts that I would have enough strength or coordination to pull off these tricks - but luckily the instructors were great and they walk you through every step so you barely have to think about what you are doing.
When I first made the climb up to the platform (I couldn’t believe I wasn’t tied off yet)...I was shaking...and trying to hold my nerves together and listen to what the instructor was saying.  As I stepped onto the edge of the platform he said just BREATH and you will do fine :) 
I listened to each command they yelled out and next thing I knew I was hanging upside down from the bar!  My back flip dismount was less then graceful (thank goodness I was tied off for that) but they guided me softly down into the net.  The fear subsided a bit and was replaced by adrenaline as my whole body continued to tremble.  After the third round I could feel my muscles starting to ach and my hands starting to blister - but I still couldn’t get enough.  The feeling of flying was amazing! 

It was great to watch the teachers and advanced students practice in between rounds to see some of the advanced moves.  It was a marvel of strength and coordination that I could really appreciate after trying some of the basics. 

After this experience I know two things:
1. I have to try this again!
2. I am going to be very sore tomorrow :)



No comments:

Post a Comment